Sunday, November 29, 2009

Do You Have SMART Goals?

One of the most important things I've discovered along my success journey was the regular and consistent practice of setting and working towards goals. I am sure many people would say "Yes, I have goals." or "Of course I know what I want to be or to achieve." But one of the most amazing things I've discovered is the fact that so many people DO NOT write their goals down at all, much less on a regular and consistent basis.

Here's the drill. First, in order to be a success, you must have what I call SMART goals. Smart goals are:

Specific
Measurable
Achievable
Realistic
Time-tied

Part of the process of goal-setting is to stretch yourself a bit, but also to have a good chance of achieving them. You also should have Goals for the day, the week, the month, the year and the next 2-5 and ultimately up to 10 years ahead. You should begin with your biggest life goals or dreams and then break them down into manageable pieces. You should end up with a core annual, quarterly and monthly plan - with your weekly and daily activities and habits taking you successfully on the path to accomplishment. And no, I am not just talking about a big TO DO list. Do not confuse activity with accomplishment. You must ask yourself "Is what I am doing right now, today, taking me one step closer to my goals?"

In future posts, we'll cover team building, accountability and the power of focus. But for now, I want you to get into a habit of planning your days, the night before - and plan your weeks every Saturday or Sunday. And finally, make SMART goals for each month that will take you to your annual goals. Be sure to allow for extra time than you think and then work like you have less time than you've planned. Whatever you do consistently for 3-4 weeks will become a habit - so this will only be work for 1 month - but it will produce a lifetime of results.

So have at it. What are your short-term and long-term goals? What do you want to accomplish before this year is out, and what are your plans and dreams for next year and the years to come? If you aren't satisfied with where you are today, then begin to plan, set goals and work towards a better and brighter tomorrow. I look forward to your comments. Until next time.

Barry Elrod , The Mentor to Millionaires
CEO, Stealth Wealth Partners, LLC
Chicago, IL

No comments:

Post a Comment